Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 22:51:38 -0700
From:      "Tim Pushor" <timp@orion.ab.ca>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NAT Question

Hello,

I have built a NAT box using ipfw and natd on FreeBSD 2.2.8. I can't seem to
accomplish what I am trying to do:

I have three interfaces (the IP's have been changed to protect the innocent
:)

public - 207.122.216.0 255.255.255.128
protected - 207.122.216.129 255.255.255.128
private - 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

What I am trying to do is to use the machine as a router between the public
and protected interfaces (and default routing out to a router that will
forward to the Internet), but NAT the private interface to an IP address on
the public side.

The NAT works fine.. The problem I am having is that after enabling nat, the
protected interface will no longer forward to the Internet.

What I am wondering is how I should configure ipfw so that traffic to/from
the private network is NATted, and that routing between the public and
protected interfaces is unnafected.

Can someone help shed some light on this?
Many thanks,
Tim