Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2001 09:31:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        Artem Koutchine <matrix@ipform.ru>
Cc:        Kelvin Ng Chee Hoong <nchee_hoong@pacific.net.sg>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Webadmin

On 2001-07-05, Artem Koutchine scribbled:

# Um.. of course, your wish is your command, but IHMO
# adminning a unix system using web is a perversion and
# needs medical attetion.

I do most of my administration via SSH and hacking through conf files.
There are times where I have no access to SSH (and no Telnet since
the first thing I do to a machine is disable the Telnet server) and just
need to check up on something (of course, I setup Webmin to do basic SSL
encryption...)

# Why not just use ssh2 to do the job and besides,
# you'll know what you are doing much better and
# save a lot of bandwidth. BTW, what is format of some
# daemon config file changes? What are you gonna do?
# Wait for a new version of that web admin tool?

As I just said, I do most of my conf through SSH and the command line.
For some people who are just learning or don't want to deal with
Sendmail's cryptic conf files, web-based management tools are a nice
step to start with. Not every UNIX admin can de-crypt some of the most
cryptic conf files out there.

Modules are independent from the main Webmin package... so if there is
an update to a module, you can update it through it's module
configuration tool.

The biggest break in conf file format is from BIND 4 to BIND 8... of
course that was done before Webmin became 'popular' or noticed. If there
is a large (or even small) change to a conf file format, the old
commands should be left the same and provide the same effect, but also
notify the admin that the command is to be deprecated. It's foolish to
make a huge change to the conf file format and leave a lot of people
without any options and with broken daemons.

# YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!

I'll take this as a flame... and no, I am not kidding.

--
Linh Pham
[lplist@closedsrc.org]

// 404b - Brain not found