Date:      Fri, 04 Aug 2000 13:16:01 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dhcpd

I am attempting to setup a simple dhcpd server for the sake of supplying
M$ Windows clients with an IP address on the network when they startup.
When I run 'dhcpd' I get the following message, and dhcpd exits:

home# dhcpd
Internet Software Consortium DHCP Server 2.0pl2
Copyright 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 The Internet Software Consortium.
All rights reserved.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/dhcp-contrib.html

No subnet declaration for de0 (not.giving-the.real.ip).
Please write a subnet declaration in your dhcpd.conf file for the
network segment to which interface de0 is attached.
exiting.
home#

I'm not sure what it's asking me to add, my /etc/dhcpd.conf file looks
like this:

#
# Global settings
#
default-lease-time 0;
max-lease-time 846000;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option broadcast-address 10.0.0.255;
option routers 10.0.0.222;
option domain-name-servers 10.0.0.200;
option domain-name "wmptl.net";
subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        range 10.0.0.230 10.0.0.254;
}

From the error it's giving me, it seems to want a subnet for the IP
address on a second ethernet interface.
	Do I need to somehow bind dhcpd to work only from one interface (vr0 =
10.0.0.2xx)? All the IP addresses from 10.0.0.230 - 10.0.0.254 are
unused and available. The router (10.0.0.222) routes between several
internal subnets. This setup is all on an internal LAN, but the machine
to be running the dhcpd daemon also has an external interface which is
connected to the internet.
	Currently running 4.1-20000729-STABLE on the server, using isc-dhcpd as
provided in the ports collection, (version info in snipet above).
	What am I doing wrong here? What if anything should I add to
/etc/dhcpd.conf, and is it possible to force dhcpd to only work accross
the internal interface (10.0.0.2xx)?

--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com