Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 00:32:14 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Real "technical comparison"

This "postmark" test is useless self flagellation.

The intent of the "test" is obviously intended to show
certain facts which we all know to be self-evident under
strange load conditions which are patently "unreal".

We already knew the limitations on putting many files
in a directory; the only useful thing you could do with
that many files in a single directory is to iterate them
all.  If the application were trying to "remember" 60,000
path names, we are talking about 60MB of RAM, just for
the potential top end path data alone, not including the
linked list pointers for a simple linked list approach.

I would suggest a better test would be to open _at least_
250,000 connections to a server running under both FreeBSD
and Linux.  I was able to do this without breaking a sweat
on a correctly configured FreeBSD 4.3 system.

Even if all the clients were simultaneously active, on a
single Gigabit NIC, that's still in excess of 4 kilobits a
second per client.

This could easily be the case with, for example, a pager
network or other content broadcasting system, or an EAI
tool, such as IBM's MQ-Series.

It seems to me that this would be a much more real-world
scenario than some badly written third party code acting
in the worst possible way with FS contents.

-- Terry