Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 13:36:25 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        rich@dynamite.org
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What do people think of May 1st for a 3.2 release  date?

In message <B0000025014@clyde.chugaboom.net>, "Rich Wood" writes:
> On 16 Mar 99, at 18:59, Wilko Bulte wrote:
>
> > And last week here in Holland for a friend of mine who has a WC subscriptio
> > for them
>
> Talking of subscriptions, issuing releases too often may put people off
> subscriptions as it could start to get expensive.
>
> As people have pointed out, it takes a while to distribute CD's, as it
> stands, if 3.2 was to be released on May 1st, it would give 3.1-RELEASE a
> useable life of about 6 weeks[1] before 3.2-RELEASE was `created`.
>
> I'm not saying that we should hold off on 3.2 just because 3.1 is still
> new, but I feel there must be a compelling reason (major security fix,
> important new features etc.) to release it so soon after people get their
> 3.1 CD's.
>
> [1] For those of us outside USA. My CD only arrived on 13/3/99

I agree that this might be generally true, however I understand
that there are a lot of fixes that have gone into 3.1 since its
release.  If this is a "once in a blue moon" event, I don't think
people would mind.  I wouldn't mind getting all of the fixes.

> Rich
>
> --
> rich@dynamite.org
> If that's what they call normal, I'd rather be insane.

Open Systems Group          Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Province of BC