Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 10:40:59 -0500
From:      "Jim Freeze" <jim@freeze.org>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   How do I connect to my ISP via a modem

Pardon my newness, but I am looking for some assistance
in getting my freeBSD connected to the internet.
Coming from a windows paradigm, to connect to the internet,
I use a dialup service and specify various dns and gateway
settings, in addition to a phone number and modem connect
speed. After dialing up, I am magically able to use my internet
browser and connect to remote sites. Also, I am able to telnet
and ftp. I would like to do the same with FreeBSD.

On freeBSD, is there a similar mechanism? I have read the FreeBSD
handbook on dialout service using tip or cu, but, so far, I have not
been able to make any sense of this (ie making it work or figuring
out what capabilities it provides. It is not clear if I get a connection
with tip that netscape will work.).

Here are a few questions:

1. How do I determine what device bsd thinks my modem is using...cuaa0
    or cuaa1...or whatever?
1b. Does it matter that the modem is a pcmcia card?
2. Where do I go to read more about obtaining a user dialup connection
    to the internet. I would like to be self educated on this matter but
    a little prompting to speed up the process would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jim
jim@freeze.org