Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 12:18:47 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Graham Guttocks <graham_guttocks@yahoo.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dual-boot with NT OS loader question

Graham Guttocks wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have a one-disk thinkpad that currently dual-boots between
> Windows2000 and Linux via the win2k OS boot loader.  I'd like to
> replace the Linux partitition with a FreeBSD installation.  What is
> the easiest way to do this?
>
> I first installed w2k, then Linux, then used dd to peel the bootsector
> from my Linux-root-Partition, and then added this to c:\boot.ini.
>
> Could I just install FreeBSD on the Linux partition, then boot into
> FreeBSD, and copy /boot/boot0 over to w2k and then add this to
> c:\boot.ini?  Or, is there a better way?

When you add FreeBSD, you probably can just newfs the Linux partition as
a FreeBSD filesystem and leave the mbr alone. Then you add /boot/boot1
as bootsect.bsd to your "c" drive. The FreeBSD slice has to be a primary
partition in NT terminology. I think Linux can install to an extended
partition. You can also delete the Linux partition and make it FreeBSD
at that point.

Next, you replace your entry in boot.ini with something like
c:\bootsect.bsd="FreeBSD"

It works like a charm.

Kent

> Regards,