Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 12:50:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        tcobb@staff.circle.net
Cc:        dcs@newsguy.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic in latest 3.2-Stable

> That's certainly possible.  I yanked two of the
> 256M DIMMs out of the box (leaving 2) and the
> box has been stable for 1:17.  Would be pretty
> odd that I just happened to grab the bad dimms.

Have the DIMM's been qualified to run in the SuperMicro
Board?

How many chips are on them?  More than 32 SDRAM chips and it
is a composite design, probably with buffers and associated
delays that will cause your problems.  If the don't have the
buffers your overloading the memory bus.  Either way it just
won't work reliably.

We have had 0 luck getting anyones 256MB DIMMS to run stably,
we are waiting on the price to fall on the new non-composite parts
that just started to come out hoping that will fix the problems.

Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net