Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:28:24 -0700
From:      "John Howie" <JHowie@msn.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>, "Mike Thompson" <mpthompson@home.net>
Subject:   Re: Encrypted IP tunneling solution

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Thompson" <mpthompson@home.net>
To: <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 08, 2000 10:56 PM
Subject: Encrypted IP tunneling solution

> I've created a fairly simple little application called stun that
> essentially combines the functionality of nos-tun with SSH.  Stun does for
> IP tunneling what sftp does for FTP -- it makes it trivial to set up the
> highly secure tunneling of raw IP packets between any two FreeBSD systems
> that have SSH and tunneling devices (/dev/tunXX) enabled.

[stuff deleted]

> BTW, my ultimate goal behind this little application is to get it working
> with Windows clients running SSH protocols where it can serve as a very
> simple, but secure VPN solution.  As one might expect, it has proven to be
> much easier to write the FreeBSD/Unix side of things than the Windows side
> where a virtual NDIS VxD driver or some similar beast will have to be
> implemented.

Actually, it might not be as hard as you think. I wrote an IP tunnelling
interface for an X.25 (remember that?) card for SunOS 4.X and ported a large
chunk of it to Windows NT 3.1 way back. The way I wrote it was to have the
tunnelling code running in user space and have that access the dummy
interface in the kernel. Sure it was slower than a pure kernel solution but
back then the graphics was all in user space too. I might have some free
time coming up so let me know if you need help. I'll see if I can find the
code.

> Mike Thompson
> mike@atomz.com
> CTO/Co-Founder Atomz.com