Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 1996 14:14:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      DHIMAN@d0sb15.FNAL.Gov
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem in loading kernel

Hi,
    I am experienceing a problem rebuilding the kernel.  Here's the story:

I installed FreeBSD 2.1 on my Dell P133c.  I couldn't get X running because
the default kernel doesn't support the PS/2 mouse that I have.  So, I
attempted to re-build the kernel (I would try this anyway, to get a
streamlined kernel).  I went to /usr/src/sys/i386/conf, copied GENERIC to
MYKERNEL and modified the latter following the instructions in the handbook.
The first three of the next steps finished successfully:

# /usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL
# cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
# make depend

but then,

# make

failed.

After what looked like a lot of compilation, there was a message that read

kern_sysctl.o: undefined symbol '_hw_float' referenced from text segment

*** Error code 1

Stop

Peeking at the source code using Warren Toomey's search program, I found two
occurences of the symbol "hw_float": in sysctl.h and in npx.c where it is
declared as "extern int" and "int" respectively.  Unfortunatley, I don't know
what to do about it.  Any advice towards a solution will be deeply
appreciated.  Thanks.

Dhiman.