Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 13:57:29 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        ccba <ccba@mindspring.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PostScript LAN printer problem Part 2

ccba wrote:

> Hello:
>
>     I setup my /etc/printcap file with the following as its first line:
>
>         rlp|Remote Printer:\
> :rm=LaserWriter-IIg:sd=/var/spool/output/LaserWriter-IIg:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
>
>     When I type this
>
>         lpr -Prlp /etc/printcap
>
>     I got this
>
>         Feb 26 06:48:18 myname lpd[369]:unalbe to get address list for
> remote machine
>         LaserWriter-IIg: Host name lookup failure
>
>     question:
>
>         Where should I enter the printer's address ??

I assume this is a printer with a direct LAN connection, rather than being
attached to another server? If so, you'll have to find it's IP address (RTFM
for your printer to find out how), and add it to your /etc/hosts, e.g.:

laserwriter-iig: 192.168.12.34

or, if you run a local DNS server, you could add it to your zone file.

>     BTW, how do you get the ethernet address of this printer ??

You shouldn't need it's ethernet address. ARP should find that for you,
you'll need it's IP address to print to it, I think.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D