Date:      Sat, 05 Feb 2000 13:49:13 -0500
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@ds.net>
To:        Shino <shino@hakkenden.com>
Cc:        Freebsd-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Qmail or Sendmail?

Shino wrote:

> I went with sendmail because I wanted to be familiar with this powerful and
> widely used SMTP server.  However my eyes too have been turned towards the
> light of qmail and postfix.  It has been mentioned that they (qmail and
> postf) have "fewer security issues".  Its sendmail 8.9.3 bad?  Is qmail or
> postfix easier on VirtualDomain admins like myself?  Or am I feeling the
> "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome?  I have gotten sendmail
> configuration down to a system of steps but I am hardly guru level.

I don't think that Sendmail is the garden of security holes that it used
to be, at least not the newer 8.9.x versions. As for the grass being
greener on the other side of the fence - I've never worked with qmail
but Postfix seems significantly easier to configure.  Now, knowing all
that I still use sendmail in high-volume environments, not because
Postfix can't handle it but rather because I am more familiar with
Sendmail.