Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2001 11:32:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Keith Mitchell <kmitch@weenix.guru.org>
Cc:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fs corruption (ATA / 4.4-REL)

:
:> The VIA chipset is probably your culprit, though I'm not exactly sure
:> if the MVP3 has the PCI bus corruption problem or if it is only the
:> later KT133/KT266 chipsets.  If so, your motherboard vendor is
:> supposed to fix the PCI bus corruption problems in the BIOS, so try a
:> BIOS update.  If that doesn't fix it, you'll have to install
:> 4.4-STABLE, since Soren just recently put a fix into the ata driver to
:> work around a problem with those chipsets that the motherboard vendors
:> should be fixing but aren't.
:
:That only affects DMA, right?  I'm going to try and install with
:
:hw.ata.wc=0
:hw.ata.ata_dma=0
:hw.ata.atapi_dma=0
:
:And see if that works.  I don't see any of the IDMA errors that other
:people are reporting (maybe because I'm only uses UDMA33 and not
:UDMA66/100).  All I see is data and/or filesystem corruption.  Sometimes
:the fs gets blaster beyond repair, other times I see files get merged
:together, etc.  A pain in the butt.
:
:--
:Keith Mitchell
:Email: kmitch@guru.org				PGP key available upon request

    It's worth updating to the latest -stable kernel.  At least one other
    person has reported filesystem corruption due to kstack underflows which
    went away when I bumped UPAGES from 2 to 3.  I don't think the stack
    fixes for the IDE drivers have been MFCd to -stable yet so heavy IDE use
    could be hitting up against the kstack problem.

						-Matt