Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 19:20:24 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Olaf=20Hoyer?= <ohoyer@yahoo.de>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1015585913.e914ba@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sftp scp musings

 --- Mike Meyer
<mwm-dated-1015585913.e914ba@mired.org> schrieb: >
Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@yahoo.de> types:
> > So, anyway, for windows a nice GUI client (WinSCP)
> is
> > available, which does nicely under FreeBSD (tested
> > with 4.3 and 4.4), running smooth with a tcsh and
> > bash.
> > (WinSCP manual states that bash is required) Under
> > RedHat 7.2, only bash will work, tcsh gives bad
> > hickup...
>
> It works fine on 4-STABLE with /bin/sh as the shell.
> At least, it does
> for my short tests. I was using WinSCP2, though.

Hi!

Hmm, well, I am using WInSCP2 also, and it works quite
stable, I had it once transfer about 10 Gig data over
2Mbit line from an NT box to my FreeBSD 4.4
workstation on another location... ;-)

> > Does anyone knows of a GUI sftp-capable client, or
> > another win32-gui method of encrypted file
> transfer?
>
> Try WinSCP2, probably available wherever you got
> WinSCP. If not, try
> there, have them get
> PuttyGEN as well, and generate a key pair. Save the
> private key where
> WinSCP2 can get it, and you get the public key, and
> put in
> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys a line like:
>
> no-pty,no-port-forwarding <key data>
>
> And in vipw make their password "*". That way, they
> can click on
> WinSCP2 and get a file<->file interface, or
> configure it to get an
> "explorer" interface, but nobody can log into the
> account via a
> shell. That should make both them and you happy.

Hmm, yes, that will be some thought, that no-one may
locally login, but I can also use different users,
also for b"virtual" web-hosting in our department
without using WU-FTPD or similar...

Thanks!

Olaf Hoyer

=====