Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 15:12:05 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw: HTTP(S) is working but everything else doesn't...

[I sent this already to -questions but it kept unanswered. I surely
know how mls are working but some advice couldn't hurt ;-)]
Hello,
my ipfw is driving me nuts. I want to allow SMTP (both incoming and
outgoing), POP3, HTTP, HTTPS and DNS (well, FTP should work as well
but that one has got it's own problems because of that FTP-data thingy)
for the firewall box itself and all boxes which use it as gateway [1].
Everything beside this should be rejected. To accomplish this, I
wanted to use the following ruleset:
00100 allow ip from any to any via lo0
00200 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
00300 allow tcp from any to any established
00400 allow ip from any to any frag
00500 allow tcp from any to any 25 setup
00600 allow udp from any to any 53
00700 allow udp from any 53 to any 53
00800 allow tcp from any to any 80 setup
00900 allow tcp from any to any 443 setup
01000 allow tcp from any to any 21 setup
01100 allow tcp from any to any 110 setup
01200 allow tcp from any to any 22 setup
01300 allow udp from any to any 22
# DHCP, I need this during development phase, it's going to be kicked out in production
01400 allow tcp from any to any 546 setup
01500 allow udp from any to any 546
65535 deny ip from any to any

but this isn't working as expected. HTTP and HTTPS both work as they
should. DNS doesn't work at all, neither SMTP nor POP (meaning: I
can't connect to the server from outside or to outside servers from
the box itself). And the most strange thing (or atleast does this seem
to me this way) is happening with ssh: first, ssh (PuTTY) takes over a minute
to show me a login prompt (connecting to the box from outside) and
then, when I try to login, I can type without any problems, but as
soon as I hit enter, the ssh client exits and the server reports
|sshd[645]: fatal: Timeout before authentication for 10.2.2.150.
What's going on wrong here?

[1] Meaning the box acts as some kind of bastion host for the entire
net behind it. I know this isn't the optimum but as we can't setup enough
of those boxes (supplier ran out of them :-(( it has to offer those
services as well.

Best regards,
 Gabriel

Best regards,