Date:      Sun, 8 Apr 2007 16:02:15 +0200
From:      Gergely CZUCZY <phoemix@harmless.hu>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   volume management

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

Hello,

I'm looking for a disk organization, volume-management
feature in freebsd, something like LVM-like in a kind of way.
Currently on our linux boxes we are using LVM to organize
the disks under our content-drives. This means, we allocate
a we-think-it-will-be-enough space for a service from a storage
pool for each service on the actual box, and if later on the
givenm space turns out not to be enough, we increase that amount
and grow the FS on it.
I'm looking for a similar feature in FreeBSD, where i can allocate
disk space for my proposes, not using up all of the available space,
and later on be able to increase the size of any previously
allocated "chunk".
First i've tried gvinum on a 6.2-STABLE box, but as i found out it
cannot do the job. Or it was just that underdocumented that i wasn't
able to do it with gvinum

My question is, where should i start looking for a feature like this?

Bye,

Gergely Czuczy
mailto: gergely.czuczy@harmless.hu

--=20
Weenies test. Geniuses solve problems that arise.

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j--