Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:21:11 +0100
From:      "Marco Trillo" <marcotrillo@gmail.com>
To:        blubaustin <blubaustin@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IMac G3 Partition

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 6:01 AM, blubaustin <blubaustin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I have an IMac G3 600Mhz, 512mb Ram, 40GB hd, Ati Rage 128 Ultra Pro
> 16mb. I was wondering how do I pre-partition the hard drive for freebsd?
> read that it has to be prepartioned because FDISK doesn't work. I tried
> using pdisk on NETBSD, and got it partitoned but I got stuck when I had to
> create an FSTAB since...

There are various options available:

 - If you use NetBSD's pdisk tool, you simply need to create some
partitions for FreeBSD (for example with type Apple_UNIX_SVR2).

You do not need to create filesystems from NetBSD or to create an
fstab file in NetBSD -- the FreeBSD installer does all of this.  When
you boot the FreeBSD installer you can select the newly created
partitions to install FreeBSD.

 - If you have Mac OS 9 or Mac OS X installation media, you can use
"Drive Setup" (for Mac OS 9) or "Disk Utility" (for Mac OS X).

With these tools you can create the partitions. Any partition type can
be used (HFS, UFS, etc.), as FreeBSD doesn't care about the type and
will reformat them with its own filesystem.
However the "Drive Setup" tool is more flexible and will allow to
select the "A/UX" partition type (equivalent to Apple_UNIX_SVR2 in
pdisk), which can be used to avoid Mac OS messing with the FreeBSD
partitions .

Hope that helps
Marco