Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 10:48:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppbus printing problems

After installing 3.1-RELEASE:

ppc0 at 0x378 irq 7 on isa
ppc0: W83877F chipset (ECP/EPP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/16 bytes threshold
ppb0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE/ECP
Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
ppbus0: <HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 540> MLC,PCL,PML
nlpt0: <generic printer> on ppbus 0
nlpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <generic parallel i/o> on ppbus 0

If I set up lpt0, printing is perfect. If I use the above ppbus
configuration, I get garbage after anywhere from a few lines
to a quarter page goes by.

I have gone back to lpt0 for now.

One question in particular: Is there any purpose to the
PnP device probe apart from printing out what got found?
That is, does it do something funky like create an extra
device or some such (like PnP ISA soundcards)?