Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 21:20:06 +1100 (EST)
From:      Julian Assange <proff@suburbia.net>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   predictor-clues [was ufs too slow?]

> >  > Xfs is pretty fragile from what I've heard.
> >
> > SGI's XFS is actually pretty robust. We run 16 and 32GB file
> > systems with it, and the performance is good. It can handle
> > an FS of some-number Terabytes. It is really a journal filesystem,
>
> Actually, Matt Dillon over at BEST Internet talked about their
> experiences with XFS in a recent presentation, and his opinion of XFS
> was far from flattering.  In their experience, using XFS was a good
> way of crashing IRIX far too frequently for comfort.
>
> 					Jordan

One thing that never ceases to annoy me about current opperating systems,
API's and compilers is the lack of support for predictor-clues.

File system layout could be hugely optimised if open had predictor-clues
such as "expected file size", "average read/write size",
"sequential/random access factor", "minimal time response" etc.

I'm suprised no one has incorporated such predictor-clues for branch
optimisation in GCC. i.e this if has a 1/1,000,000 chance of actually being
taken (error condition). You can optimise this so that you can thread a
path of probabilities through the code, and (physically) move the
inprobable code away from the probable path. This would improve code
cache-hit rates so much it isn't funny. Recent Solaris cc/ld impliment a
poor-man's version of this path to physical association by examining
which functions are called by what functions and clustering the object
code accordingly.

--
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely  exercised for the good of its victims
 may be the most  oppressive.  It may be better to live under  robber barons