Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 19:18:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>
To:        gdk@ccomp.inode.COM (Gary Kendall)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mv /usr/src/games /dev/null - any objections?

In reply:
> It wasn't too long ago that Jordan K. Hubbard said:
> > Unless there are any truly serious objections, I'm going to starting
> > campaigning vigorously in core for the complete removal of this rather
> > useless collection of games which has gotten us in trouble not once
> > but now TWICE upon receipt of a letter from Hasbro's legal council
> > stating that we are violating the trademark on "Boggle", a Hasbro
> > game.

well, how about these suggestions:

	Point out EVERY MS-DOG/WINBLOWZ version to these corporations,
and tell them to go for the real numbers...

	Ask them to write a FreeBSD version.  Failing this, cite the
fact that since they fail to support the market, they thus have
abandoned it.  All after that is fair play.

	Also point out that they have had how long to complain?  How
long has boggle been part of BSD?  Ignorance is not an excuse for them
either, especially if a profit is not being made.

	Also point out that Boggle is not that high priority item
apparently, as they fail to include it on their homepage.

> > Adding this to the fact that the "games" there are antiquated and
> > probably never actually played by anyone suggests, to me, a strong
> > need to simply nuke the bloody things once and for all and stop
> > distributing games from anywhere but /usr/ports/games (where fortune,
> > arguably one of the few "games" still in wide use, could easily be
> > moved).
> >
> >                     Jordan

i play them occasionally...

> I can understand how mixing high-priced corporate lawyers with
> public-domain source code can drive you beyond frustration into
> the Great Beyond, but scrapping all of the games seems a bit ham
> handed.  Why not send any questionable source code to the
> corporations in question, and let them make all of thier
> objections at once?
>
> And I'm not sure it's necessary to remove all traces of the
> game, just all traces of the trademarked word or phrase.
>
> Illegitimati non carborundum.

agreed.

boggle == duh

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or