Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 1995 11:07:14 -0500
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        time.cdrom.com!jkh@dg-rtp.dg.com, ponds!rivers
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freefall.freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't install 2.1 over SL/IP (bummer)

> >  Also, I'd like to argue for the return of the "emergency shell"
> > which I found very helpful in the past (something like, pressing
> > cntrl-A could get you the emergency shell, if it could be done...)
>
> Not only were you looking at the wrong code, but it doesn't even look
> like you're installing 2.1 here!
>
> The emergency holographic shell, as it's called, is prominently announced
> in 2.1!
>
> 						Jordan

 Yes, but it is a shell that chroot'd to the /mnt directory (the
hard disk) and doesn't let me see/affect what is in the MFS.

 A few revisions ago, when the install was still a shell script,
I could escape into a shell that wasn't chroot'd, make corrections to
the install shell script and restart the install process.  This is how
I worked around similar problems in the past.

 Granted, that wouldn't work very well now, since:

	1) The tools probably aren't lying around in the mfs to
	   do even basic editing.

	2) The install isn't a shell script anymore.

  So - you see, I was installing 2.1; and I'm aware of the "holographic
shell" - it's just now what I was asking for.

	- Dave Rivers -