Date:      Sun, 11 May 2008 11:26:57 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
To:        nishita@mri.ernet.in
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xfce with graphical login

Nishita Desai wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just installed Xfce4.4 on FreeBSD 7.0. I have been trying to get it
> to directly give me a graphical login. The Xfce manual says this can
> be done using gdm. According to it, I need to copy the example file
> "xfce44.desktop" into /usr/X11R6/share/xsessions. The example file is
> supposed to be located in /usr/local/share/examples (since Xfce is
> installed in /usr/local.) But there is no such file.
>
> 1. Is there any other location this file could be? (`locate` cannot find it.)
> 2. Can I download it from somewhere? Googling did not give anything.
> 3. Will anyone be kind enough to send me a copy by email?
>
> It is strange why the file's not there. Xfce was installed using
> pkg_add (the port was giving some error in compilation which I could
> not solve) and is working nicely without any obvious problems.
>
> Thanks,
> Nishita.

This is the quick way to add XFCE to your "sessions" menu in GDM:

First of all, make sure you have

gdm_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf (I assume you already have this)

Now, create a file in:

/usr/local/etc/dm/Sessions

Name it something like xfce44.desktop and type the following into it
(adjust as needed):

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=XFCE4
Comment=This session logs you into XFCE4
Exec=/usr/local/bin/startxfce4
TryExec=/usr/local/bin/startxfce4
Icon=
Type=Application

Reboot, and when the GDM login screen appears, you will be able to
select XFCE4 from the Sessions menu.

Hope this helps,
Manolis