Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:36:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      Brennan Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        Ben <ben@cahostnet.com>
Cc:        G D McKee <freebsd@gdmckee.com>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NATD

I finally got a NATD box set up and I have done this several times and it
is always a challenge.  This time it was sort of my fault.  I had IPDIVERT
in my kernel config file along with all of the other firewall options but
I missed IPFIREWALL.  My yank in vi was off by one line.

And once I did get the proper kernel in place I could not ping
anything.  It turns out all I had to do was set my firewall type to
open.  You can also add this rule to your firewall.

ipfw add 100 allow all from any to any

But it is probably best to read /etc/defaults/rc.conf and find the
firewall options.  Copy those to /etc/rc.conf and change them as you see
fit.

As for ipnat, that does not seem to work without natd running.  I am
unsure why.  It does not mention any of it in the man pages.

I wish there was a simpler way of setting up NATD on FreeBSD.  It has
become a very common use and yet it is still very hard.  I am considering
writing an article for DaemonNews.org which will walk through it and offer
a few shell scripts to make this setup process easier.

Too bad FreeBSD does not have the NetInfo system that MacOS X does.  It
would be nice to access system settings as a database instead of having to
open and edit text files.  That tends to be sloppy.

Brennan Stehling - software developer and system administrator
  my projects:
       home.offwhite.net (free personal hosting)
       www.greasydaemon.com (bsd search)