Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:20:26 -0800
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum questions?

--==_Exmh_931159648P

If memory serves me right, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Friday, 12 March 1999 at 14:41:40 +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:

> >     Finally, while we're at it, I don't suppose anyone has any
> > experience with running a softupdates filesystem on top of a vinum
> > striped/concatenated volume, do you?  Am I dreaming in hoping that
> > I'll be able to get these two working together?
>
> I know somebody's doing it, but I don't recall who.  Maybe they'll
> reply.

I'm doing it...I have a 3.1-RELEASE machine with a vinum volume composed of a
striped plex across two subdisks (about 8.5GB each), with softupdates enabled.
 I can't claim to have stressed the resulting combination very hard, but my
experience is that it just works.

Just follow the instructions for enabling softupdates, but apply them to the
vinum volume (unmounted of course) instead of a disk device.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_931159648P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNumvSajOOi0j7CY9AQFSkwP9FPAW8SerBSf4nYxuyp8qmoMCFDBJ+eKc
J3UQoOVYjtuSmUl9geRwtnVKkFMxOsxQt543DfWYr/jLSSyZyd12XtDuP27pXLoM
mHE4qlojYn1ugEmSCoLU2W4LRVyIkAHRHQyaBV6+bZ37yDWCWa4PBW3c4zdonLhB
Dcm94fEIxo0=
=lCPy
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_931159648P--