Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2006 13:30:43 -0600
From:      Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup problems....

On Saturday 18 November 2006 13:07, Eric Schuele wrote:
> On 11/18/06 11:37, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> > Eric Schuele <e.schuele@computer.org> writes:
> >> I usually use cvsup5.us.freebsd.org.  but it has not given me any new
> >> bits for several days now.  And if I use ANY other server what usually
> >> takes five minutes, takes 30-minutes to an hour (or they just
> >> hang). Which is terribly annoying.
> >>
> >> I've tried picking other servers by hand, and I've tried the
> >> fastest_cvsup script.  Doesn't seem to matter which I pick.  They all
> >> seem to be slow except cvsup5... and cvsup5 does not give me anything
> >> anymore.  No source, no ports, no docs.
> >
> > cvsup5.us.freebsd.org does seem to have stopped updating.  I've
> > cc'd the "hubs" mailing list in case this was not known.
> >
> >> I have not changed anything on my end.  Is there something going on
> >> that I am not aware of that is affecting the servers, or my ability to
> >> interact with them?  Is it related to the release, the move, anything?
> >
> > I tried cvsup3.us.freebsd.org (the example you showed in your
> > supfile), and it seemed fine; not just fast, but fully in synch
> > with my usual cvsup host (although it was busy enough that I had
> > to try for a while before I got in).  So whatever is going on does
> > seem to be local to you.
>
> I don't know what it could be.

> Finding fastest server...
>   -=(oooooooooooooooooo)=(cvsup18.us.freebsd.org)=-
>

> cvsup13.us.freebsd.org

> Grabbing source, docs, and ports... (all RELENG_6 cvsup13.us.freebsd.org)
> Parsing supfile "/root/maint/update/supfiles/supfile"
> Connecting to cvsup13.us.freebsd.org
> Connected to cvsup13.us.freebsd.org
> Server software version: SNAP_16_1h
> Negotiating file attribute support
> Exchanging collection information
> Establishing multiplexed-mode data connection
> Running
> Updating collection src-all/cvs
>
> I've been stuck here for 45 minutes or so.  If I leave it long enough it
> will sometimes break loose and do something.
>
> Any ideas?  Anything I can look into?
>
> Thanks.
>
> > Try increasing the verbosity of cvsup; it may be able to tell you
> > what its problem is.

my solution for problems with 13, were resolved using my /etc/hosts file.

[jhorne@athena ~]$ cat /etc/hosts|grep cvsup
192.168.0.1 cvsup13.us.freebsd.org

... just make it time out.  i wonder if there is a mechanism in the
fastest_cvsup to make it deliberatly exclude specific cvsup repositories.

on a side note... what was the file again to check in your sources, to tell
you the version you have just downloaded?

cheers,
jonathan