Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 22:39:08 -0800
From:      Landon Stewart <landons@uniserve.com>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   MD5 sum checking for installed binaries to check for intrusion or root kits...

A while ago (a few months) recently several administrators were let go,
but were left to their own devices in the NOC until late that night.
 (Don't ask me why because I couldn't tell ya!)  I have not noticed any
strange happenings on any of the systems.

They could have done who knows what to whatever system(s) they wanted
to.  Without someone saying "reformat the machines or reinstall" because
thats the obvious answer, is there a way to check which files differ
from the size they should be and have the correct MD5 sum than they
should or is this asking too much?

They are all FreeBSD machines (100%), however they differ in their
version.  Some are 4.0, 4.3 etc...

--
  Landon Stewart

  Right of Use:
  The sender intends this message for a specific recipient and, as it
  may contain information that is privileged or confidential, any use,
  dissemination, forwarding, or copying by anyone without permission
  from the sender is prohibited. Personal e-mail may contain views
  that are not necessarily those of the company.