Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 09:26:17 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
To:        Jason Halbert <jason@jason-n3xt.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildworld crashes

On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 12:15:29PM -0500, Jason Halbert wrote:
> Hi Everyone:
>
> I just CVSup'ed the source for 4.X-Stable.  I'm upgrading from 4.2-RELEASE.
>
> When I start the make buildworld it seems to run fine.  It compiles for a
> while then crashes.  Here is what it looks like.
>
> ---
> cc -O -pipe  -I/usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/libperl -I/usr/src/gnu/usr.
> bin/perl/libperl/../../../../contrib/perl5 -c
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/libperl/../../../../contrib/perl5/globals.c -o
> globals.o
> {standard input}: cc: Assembler messages:
> Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 10{standard
> input}:1662:
> Warning: *** Error code 1
> end of file not at end of a line; newline inserted

Errors like these tend to indicate hardward problems, usually flakey
memory. Have you tried another intensive compile on a lesser scale?
eg: kernel compile? If you try the buildworld again, does the error
happen in the same spot or does it happen somewhere else? If the
failure is random, you've got h/w problems. If it's consistently
repeatable in the same spot, I'd cvsup the sources again.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>