Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 1996 10:04:39 +0200
From:      Thomas Graichen <graichen@axp5.physik.fu-berlin.de>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   (fwd) Re: pcap

from comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc - is this fixed in -current ?

Gary L. Jackson <garyj@kzin.dorm.umd.edu> wrote:
> This is probably the entirely wrong place to pose this question, but
> I'm not sure where to ask it so I'm going to go ahead and ask it
> here:
>
> I am trying to learn how to use pcap, so I wrote this very simple
> program so I can start testing the waters:
[program snipped]

> And I get this error:
> ld.so failed: Undefined symbol "_fddipad" in a.out:/usr/lib/libpcap.so.2.0
>
> What the heck am I missing?  And where should I go for more information?

You're missing a bug-free libpcap :). The pcap library included with
FreeBSD mis-declares fddipad as extern (in /usr/src/lib/libpcap/gencode.c).
Remove the extern keyword and recompile.  Or you could get the latest
and greatest libpcap from ftp.ee.lbl.gov/libpcap.tar.Z, which compiles
on FreeBSD out of the box.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com

--
  thomas graichen    graichen@mail.physik.fu-berlin.de    graichen@FreeBSD.org

  perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when
      there is no longer anything to take away    antoine de saint-exupery