Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 15:15:22 -0500
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP Server Messages

> There are FTP servers which end up making too much 'noise' to users
> and it is this level of noise that I want to achieve;-) For example
> when you ftp to sunsite.uio.no (they seem to use Wu-FTP), this is
> the message that you get when you logout:
>
> 226 Transfer complete.
> ftp> bye
> 221-You have transferred 0 bytes in 0 files.
> 221-Total traffic for this session was 4345 bytes in 3 transfers.
> 221-Thank you for using the FTP service on sunsite.uio.no.
> 221 Goodbye.
>
> Now, my question is how do they do it?  How do they log the TX and
> bytes?

That's a "feature" of wu-ftpd; the server admins didn't do anything
special, if that's what you're asking.  The stock FreeBSD ftpd does
not have this functionality available, AFAIK.  It does log
this kind of information via syslog(3), if you turn it on.

> Does anyone know if other FTP servers like ProFTPD can do this?

Probably.  I have no idea.  Honestly, I've never really cared.

Lucas