Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 11:34:47 -0800
From:      Ken Marx <kmarx@bigshed.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   xmcd/ioctl problem (2.2.8)

Hi,

I can configure and run xmcd on my 2.2.8 box with atapi
CD drives (/dev/rwcd[01]c). It even correctly identifies
the disk. But it can't play or do much else:

CD audio: ioctl error on /dev/rwcd0c: cmd=CDIOCSETVOL errno=5
CD audio: ioctl error on /dev/rwcd0c: cmd=CDIOCPLAYMSF errno=5
CD audio: ioctl error on /dev/rwcd0c: cmd=CDIOCPLAYMSF errno=5
CD audio: ioctl error on /dev/rwcd0c: cmd=CDIOCREADSUBCHANNEL errno=5

I saw earler postings that this might also occur with other players
(xcdplayer?), so maybe it's not just 'xmcd'. I didn't see that anyone
ever got it figured out.

Actually, I *did* have cdplay working, and 'xcdplayer' at least able
to play, but with some controls not working. Now, after mucking with
xmcd, these other two apps also seem to be farkled.

All very frustrating.
Any clues?

Thanks (as always),
k.
--
Ken Marx, kmarx@bigshed.com
It's wrong headed not to work our fingers to the bones and prototype the ISO