Date:      Fri, 06 Dec 2002 11:29:49 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        Tenebrae <tenebrae_bsd@niceboots.com>
Cc:        "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA errors

Tenebrae wrote:
> BTW, the dead drive is an IBM Deskstar 75GXP (DTLA-307060).  I miss it.  I
> wish there was some way to recover it.  30GB of data gone.  Maybe I'll try
> putting it in the freezer and drop it into a different machine and see if
> I can mount it...

Funny, I had *exactly* the same thing happen to me with an IBM
DTLA-307030, also 30GB.  Awesome drive, screaming transfers, even with
seeking involved.  Then one day it started throwing the same errors you
mention.  Later that day it died.  Called up IBM, replaced it for the
cost of me shipping the dead one back.  What hurts is that the 25GB of
data on it is perfectly fine.  I just don't have any means of getting
the data off without paying a recovery company, unless someone knows I
trick I don't.