Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 1998 01:40:09 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where's the 3.0 press release?

Brett Glass wrote:

> why
> aren't news outlets covering the release of FreeBSD 3.0?
> Were press releases sent?

	Do we *really* want to advertise 3.0 widely?  The release is only a few
days old and I already count 5 plaintive cries for help from people who
were misled by the -Release tag and thought that 3.0 was the latest and
greatest. Do we really want to encourage massive new audiences to
upgrade to a system that's fraught with such peril?  Personally I think
it would give people a very negative view of freebsd.

	"But we have warnings that it's experimental.... yadda yadda." We all
know that almost no one reads the release docs, and we've already seen a
small part of the fallout. I think it could only get worse by drawing
more attention to it.

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***