Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 11:39:32 -0800
From:      charon@freethought.org
To:        Parker Brown <phbrown@gte.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Troubles Installing lynx from ports on 3.1

At 10:59 AM 3/27/99 -0800, Parker Brown wrote:
>As root I entered "make install" while in /usr/ports/www/lynx (and
>./lynx-current) and got the same messages: couldn't find a .tar.gz file,
>then tried to download from a couple of Internet sites -haven't set that
>up yet- and finally said "port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles and
>try again."
>How does one "port manually"?

For those of us like me, who don't have a FreeBSD machine connected to the
internet, we have additional fun compiling ports  :)  Of course, the best
option for you sounds like connecting you machine to the internet _first_,
then installing ports.

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/ is a good resource (I'm assuming you have
internet connectivity, just not FreeBSD internet connectivity, since it
sounds like you don't have the CD's...).  Go there, search for the name of
the port you want, and click on "sources," and you can download it from
there.  Once you have the source (a .tar.gz file, almost always), put it in
the directory '/usr/ports/distfiles'.  Then just do a 'make install clean'
in the directory of the port you just downloaded.  For many ports, you'll
also have to worry about other ports that might be required, but not for
lynx.  Hope this helps!

         Charon@freethought.org
 http://members.home.net/tuathadedanann/

   "Unthinking respect for authority