Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 2008 12:47:47 +0100
From:      Tijl Coosemans <tijl@ulyssis.org>
To:        "Rich Winkel" <biffsnifter@gmail.com>
Cc:        rich@math.missouri.edu, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mathematica 6.01 + FBSD 6.3-release

On Saturday 08 March 2008 00:05:11 Rich Winkel wrote:
> I'm having problems getting the frontend running.  The kernel seems
> to run fine.  Initially the linux loader wasn't seeing the libraries
> under SystemFiles/Libraries/Linux (or at least
>
> /compat/linux/usr/bin/ldd
> couldn't find them when run on
> SystemFiles/FrontEnd/Binaries/Linux/Mathematica )

I don't have any experience with Mathematica, but this happens with
Maple and Matlab too, so it's probably nothing to worry about.

Maple and Matlab are started with a shell script which sets up a proper
environment (where to find libs and such other variables) before
starting the real program. In my experience it's better to run them
with /compat/linux/bin/sh and not the FreeBSD /bin/sh used by default.
So to run Matlab for instance I use:

/compat/linux/bin/sh /compat/linux/opt/matlab-7.0.1/bin/matlab

If Mathematica uses such a startup script as well, it could be worth a
try. In that case you should also try if you can run
/compat/linux/bin/ls. If you get an error related to librt, you need to
create this softlink:

ln -s ../../lib/librt-2.3.6.so /compat/linux/usr/lib/librt.so.1