Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 1997 15:04:45 -0400
From:      Nicholas Merrill <nick@calyx.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Spindles synchronized field replacable unit

I'm sorry if this isn't the appropriate forum for this question,
but I have this machine running FreeBSD 2.1.7.1-RELEASE and it's
got in it an NCR 53c810 SCSI-2 controller and a Seagate Hawk 1GB
drive.

I keep getting this in the /var/log/messages:

/kernel: sd0(ncr0:0:0): UNIT ATTENTION info?:19225b asc:5c,1 Spindles
synchronized field replaceable unit: 1

I was wondering if anyone else has ever seen this and what happened
with you?  Could you get rid of it somehow?  Is it dangerous to the
data on the drive?

In my case it's actually been giving this error for over a year with
no apparent difficulties, other than the annoying log entries.

Nick

Nicholas Merrill      24 Hour pager: 917-381-0500     Voice: 212-292-7325
President / CEO       http://www.calyx.net            Fax  : 212-292-7313
Calyx Internet Access 13 Laight St. NYC, NY 10013   Email: nick@calyx.net