Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 23:50:12 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Sarwat Husain <sarwat@alpinenetworks.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, isp-unix@isp-unix.com
Subject:   Re: NIS client setup ??

In the last episode (Aug 21), Sarwat Husain said:
> I've been trying to setup an NIS client under FreeBSD 2.2.6
> but unsuccessful, well kind of.  It seems like every thing
> works, meaning :
> # ypwhich
> gives the NIS servers name
>
> # ypcat passwd
> gives the password file from the NIS server
>
> # ypcat hosts
> gives the hosts file on from the NIS server
>
> I did a vipw to modify the master.passwd file and added
> +:::::::::, exited out and when check the passwd file it had
> +:*::: so I got rid of the *. Is that OK ?

Doesn't really matter; FreeBSD doesn't use /etc/passwd at all.  It's
only for oddball 3rd-party programs that don't use getpw*().

All your config info looks okay to me.  Can you do a "ypmatch <nisuser>
passwd.byname" ?  It should return the passwd line for that user.  If
that works, see if an "id <nisuser>" works.  Make sure your "+" line in
vipw doesn't have leading or trailing blanks; a trailing blank will be
parsed as an invalid shell (preventing logins).

I've got NIS clients on a couple 2.2.7 machines listening to a Netware
4.11 NIS server without any problems.

You might want to try tcpdumping packets, to see if the BSD box is even
sending out NIS queries.

> Also, we are planning on cutting over to FreeBSD replacing
> all of the linux boxes if NFS performance proves to be
> better than Linux's. Do you know what implementation of NFS,
> FreeBSD uses ?

What implementation?  Not sure what you mean.  It's all in-kernel and
supports TCP and UDP mounts.  As to performance and stability, you
might want to check the thread raging in the -hackers list titled
"Linux vs FreeBSD (performances)" :)  I personally can't complain about
the NFS implementation; at work we can just about saturate a 100mbit
full-duplex Ethernet link between two 2.2.7 machines during large file
copies over NFS, and we haven't had any NFS-related hangs in over 6
months.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com