Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:21:07 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1016490067.f85821@mired.org>
To:        Mathieu Arnold <mat@mat.cc>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: read only /usr/ports

Mathieu Arnold <mat@mat.cc> types:
> --On mercredi 13 mars 2002 13:25 -0600 Mike Meyer
> <mwm-dated-1016479549.0aa2a7@mired.org> wrote:
> > Mathieu Arnold <mat@mat.cc> types:
> >> I have some problems sharing my /usr/ports among all my workstations,
> >> what  I'd like to have is one master box with a real /usr/ports, have it
> >> exported  (already done) and have all the clients use it and compile
> >> their ports into  /usr/obj for instance.
> >> I was thinking that setting WRKDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj in /etc/make.conf
> >> would  do the trick, but either that's not the right thing to do, either
> >> it's not  the way to do it, as I cannot build a single package, it tells
> >> shokes on : cd /usr/obj/usr/ports/<a>/<port>/work/<it's srcdir>/ && make
> >> real-build which is not the thing it should do (or I have misunderstood).
> >
> > I'm running a similar system to what you're trying to do, and it
> > works. The directory name you give is the correct one for it to be
> > trying to work in given the WKRDIRPREFIX you gave.  Is it possible
> > that /usr/obj is also mounted r/o from somewhere else? That would
> > cause the above behavior.
>
> nope, the pb lies around line 2481 of bsd.port.mk :
>         @cd ${.CURDIR} && ${MAKE} ${__softMAKEFLAGS} real-build
> where .CURDIR is /usr/obj/usr/ports/<a>/<port>/work/<it's srcdir>/
> and not /usr/ports/<a>/<port>/
> don't ask why, I found where, but I can't find out why.

I assume you meant that it should resolve to /usr/obj/<a>/<port>, as
you want /usr/ports to be r/o. That's wrong. The "why" is so that you
can have multiple ports trees around, or just multiple versions of a
port - which is common for a port maintainer. The solution was to make
/usr/ports looks like your /usr/obj/usr/ports/<a>/<port>.

> and /usr/obj is plain local rw ufs.

So why can't it write to /usr/obj/... ? That's the problem you need to
solve.

	<mike