Date:      Mon, 08 Nov 1999 12:32:07 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Abraham T. Rooter" <aberooter@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Networking Questions

On Fri, 05 Nov 1999 12:01:27 EST, "Abraham T. Rooter" wrote:

> I'm very new to FreeBSD, and would like to network it with my
> Windows98/NT machine.

Presumably, your machines are all connected using a hub? If so, it's
really just a case of configuring your FreeBSD machine's ethernet
interface with the correct IP address and you're set. The /etc/rc.conf
options you want to set are:

	hostname
	network_interfaces
	ifconfig_??0

The options should be described in the rc.conf manpage.

If you want to use your FreeBSD box as a dial-up gateway for your LAN,
then you need to look at the PPP primers, available with a bit of
hunting in the documentation section of the FreeBSD web page:

	http://www.freebsd.org/

If you're trying to do something else, you should really explain your
network layout and your objective more accurately and we may be able to
help. :-)

Later,
Sheldon.