Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 14:45:17 EST
From:      "Neil Oosten" <neiloosten@hotmail.com>
To:        gjb@comkey.com.au
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changing groups

Just an update: Dan and Greg and some others all had it right. I must
have been reading a Sys V page or something.

I checked it out and the set up as it is works just fine. I must have
been confused.

Thanks to those of you who pointed me in the right direction.
-- Neil
>> Here's my situation: I want have a user who is a member of three
>> groups--say they are radio, tv, and newspaper. When the user logs in
the
>> group is set to radio, but then he has to go edit something for
radio.
>> How do I change the user's group from newspaper to radio.
>
>The concept of a user's default belongs more to SysV than BSD.
>
>Under BSD, the group of a newly-created file is determined by
>the group of the directory it is created in.  To change the
&gt;group of newly created files in a directory, use chgrp on the
&gt;directory; to change the group of files already created in a
&gt;directory, use chgrp on the files (or chgrp -R on the directory
&gt;if all the descendants of that directory are intended to be
&gt;affected by the command).
&gt;
&gt;--
&gt;Greg Black &lt;gjb@acm.org&gt;