Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 2015 07:06:44 +0100
From:      Bertram Scharpf <lists@bertram-scharpf.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rebuilding FreeBSD!

Hi,

On Wednesday, 30. Dec 2015, 22:17:34 -0600, Yass Amed wrote:
> Is it possible to rebuild FreeBSD with custom settings such as different
> shell?

Not actually a different shell. Just install another one
from ports/packages. To avoid disappointments I recommend to
leave csh or sh in /etc/passwd at least for root.

There's a lot of tweaks for the base system build. Have a look at
"man src.conf". E. g. I'm a true hater of "locate" and I say

  WITHOUT_LOCATE=1

in "src.conf". Further I say

  WITHOUT_SENDMAIL=1

but that requires to follow strictly the instructions of the
mail program alternative how to replace the base systems
mechanism.

The native location of the file to say things like that is
"/etc/src.conf" but you can tweak that by saying
"SRCCONF=/my/path/to/my/taste/of/src.conf" on the "make"
command line.

Bertram

--
Bertram Scharpf