Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 1997 21:51:12 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, j@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: fdisk headache

>> Boot selectors won't work either.
>
>Since there's nothing to select from. ;-)

>Right now, there are three reasons to still call it ``dangerously
>dedicated'':
>
>. Since the MBR is identical to the BSD bootstrap, there's no room for
>  things like `nextboot' after the MBR, and you can't replace the MBR
>  by fancy things like a boot selector.  Hence, in a system that is
>  not FreeBSD-only, you could at best make drives != #0 ``DD'', and
>  you won't be able to boot select away from that drive once you
>  switched there.  (Normally, booteasy allows to wander around back
>  and forth through all the drives.)

There may be 512(*) sd drives, 512 od drives, 16 cd drives and a small
number of wd and fd drives :-).  That's a lot to select from.
(*) Actually at most 128(**) floppy drives and 128(**) hard drives
altogether (because of the BIOS interface limit).
(**) Your BIOS may vary.

>. Some operating systems might choke on that fdisk table afterwards,
>  so if you are going to install something else on such a drive later,
>  it's best do do a ``dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rXXX count=100'' before
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^
>  recycling the drive to another task.

Should be count=1.  If 1 won't work, then 100 may not be enough either,
and you'd better know what you are doing.  E.g., if there is a FreeBSD
slice at offset 100000, then there will be a BSD label at offset 100001,
and it should be zeroed to prevent it being resurrected if a BSD slice
is created at offset 100000 a year later and the label hasn't been
changed.

>The plus side is:
>. The number of BIOS geometry constraints to care for reduces drastic-
>  ally, so you can usually (*) ignore any geometry issues.
>
>  (*) I.e., the BIOS's geometry idea involves at least 15 sectors per
>  track, 4 heads, and the root file system is not larger than 30 MB.

Actually if the root file system is below cylinder 1024 in the BIOS
translation mode.  I think the 15 sectors/track limit only applies for
floppies.

Bruce