Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 1997 14:23:05 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        stesin@gu.net
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Here's a radical idea...

Andrew Stesin wrote:
> > Since we have two perennial problems with the ports collection:
> >
> > 	a) distfiles go away.
>
> 	I vote "NO!"

Point a) was not for the vote! Point a) is something that actually
happens: sometimes a master site stops carrying the tarball.

> > 	b) distfiles are updated without changing the name.
>
> 	Probably.

See my comments about point a). This happens with eg. expect.tar.Z
where the master tarball is _always_ called expect.tar.Z, no matter
what the version.

Mark Murray                PGP key fingerprint = 80 36 6E 40 83 D6 8A 36
This .sig is umop ap!sdn.                        BC 06 EA 0E 7A F2 CE CE