Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 18:26:09 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
Cc:        Peter <fbsdq@yahoo.com>, moligny@kanotech.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remount Filesystems

Jonathan Chen wrote:

> On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 03:41:39PM -0600, Peter wrote:
> > Not bad, but how do you umount /var or something -- It's in use while
> > in normal mode [?]
> >
> > btw.... how does one
> >
> > tunefs -n enable  /
> >
> > without a boot disk/cdrom?
> > can I do mount -ro / while it's already mounted?
>
> Yes. Althought IIRC, it's better to reboot the box after the tunefs on
> the / filesystem.

I don't understand why you'd bother with softupdates on / anyway? Just
from my perspective, I try to keep the / fs as reliable as possible and,
although softupdates is very reliable, it does have a slightly higher
incidence of crash corruption than standard sync.
Besides, if your partitioning is done intelligently, you usually aren't
writing to / much so lower write performance doesn't really hurt
anything.

Just some philosophical musings.

-Bill