Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 2008 00:01:29 +0000
From:      Pegasus Mc Cleaft <ken@mthelicon.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Removing zpool log device - 8.0-Current

Hello Hackers,

	I was wondering if anyone knows a work around for this.

	I have added a log device to one of my zfs pools (it is a unused ATA drive
slice that has no activity on it after boot up as most other directories live
in there own zfs filing systems). I have added a SSD to the machine and have
successfully moved the cache to this device, but wanted to also move the ZIL
to another slice on the SSD unit.

	When I type 'zpool remove PegaBase ar0s1e' I receive the following error:

feathers# zpool remove PegaBase ar0s1e
cannot remove ar0s1e: only inactive hot spares or cache devices can be removed

	I know this is a known bug:
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do?bug_id=6574286

	However, someone mentioned that if you were to flush the ZIL by closing all
transactions, you can then remove the device. Does anyone know how this can be
done? I have tried the usual fsync, but that dosent seem to flush the zil back
to the pool. There seems to be a static amount of information held in the zil
and never seems to flush back. Atleast that is how it seems.

	I would be grateful for any ideas..

Ta
Peg