Date:      Sun, 09 May 1999 00:30:07 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        rknebel@uplink.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp

Rick Knebel writes:
>Hi,
>This is far from the first time I have set up either use or kernel ppp in
>freebsd.
>
>But "Nothing like this ever happened to me before"
>
>I have tried both user and kernel ppp and I can connect to my ISP but can
>get no farther.
>My home network works fine.
>I cannot get out though.
>In my experience this is usually due to my resolv.conf which I checked and
>is set up how i always have it.
>
>Whaer else can I look.
>
>I stay connected but just cannot get past my ISP.
>I am writing thjis from linux which resides on another drive so I know the
>problem is not with my ISP.
>
>Thanks Alot for any idea's

this just came up in the ISDN list. Try this:

+
+ 12. I'm using sPPP. I can connect to my ISP but no TCP/IP services work. HELP!
+ ==============================================================================
+
+ This is probably because you have the RFC1323 - TCP Extensions for High
+ Performance - support turned on and your ISP (or some router in the loop)
+ is discarding the extensions.
+
+ This can easily be checked by doing ``sysctl net.inet.tcp.rfc1323''. If the
+ result is 1, then the RFC1323 support is turned on.
+
+ Turn this off by doing ``sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0''.
+
+ For FreeBSD make sure that tcp_extension="NO" is in your /etc/rc.conf
+ (/etc/defaults/rc.conf with more recent versions of FreeBSD) !!

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - garyj@muc.de
Work - garyj@fkr.dec.com