Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 12:31:08 -0700
From:      "Neil C. Jensen" <njensen@habaneros.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   tip & system hang-up

I just installed a modem, however, whenever I try and send it commands =
via tip, it hangs-up my system so badly that I have to hard reboot. The =
specifics are:

FreeBSD 2.1R
USR Sportster 14.4 internal, IRQ3 COM2
kernel configured for sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa.  type 16450 (I =
am on an old 486SX)
using ttyd1, cuaa1, etc.
added V.32bis settings to /etc/gettytab per directions in Handbook
added /etc/ttys mods: ttyd1 "/usr/libexec/getty" V19200 vt102 on

I can connect to the modem using either 'tip' or 'cu' (logged in as =
root).
I get the 'connected' prompt.
If I exit without sending the modem any 'AT' commands I am disconnected =
properly.
Once I am connected, if I try and send the modem any commands at all =
(ex. 'AT') the entire system hangs. The only way I can get back in is to =
hard reboot the system.

I seem to recall someone on the list having a similar problem just a few =
weeks ago, but I can't seem to find it in the archives.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Neil Jensen
Habanero Studios Ltd.