Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 22:33:10 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Doug Lee <dgl@visi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shared IP, real-time packet editing, or best offer...?

In the last episode (Jun 06), Doug Lee said:
> I want to do something a bit beyond NAT:
>
> MSN Messenger's audio protocol and at least the IRC DCC protocols
> I've seen send a workstation's IP address inside the data section of
> a TCP packet.  When the workstation's address is NATed and private,
> this translates to communication failure, since the unsuspecting
> machine at the other end has no way to route a packet back to the
> workstation.
>
> I can think of two possible solutions to this: (1) sharing the public
> IP such that the workstation believes it owns the address but really
> only owns the address on certain ports, or (2) editing packets as
> they go by and possibly triggering actions, such as firewall
> modification, based on data patterns in packets.

Option 2 has already been implemented for quite a few protocols and is
already used in /sbin/natd and /usr/sbin/ppp in the form of the "alias"
library.  Take a look at /usr/src/lib/libalias and the libalias
manpage.  It already handles IRC, and assuming you could figure out the
protocol for Messenger, adding new modules is pretty easy.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com