Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 23:47:48 -0700
From:      Fred Condo <fred@condo.chico.ca.us>
To:        Bigwillie <mvanberk@optonline.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help the daemons are killing it

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 11:19:47PM -0400, Bigwillie wrote:
> Just joking, but not a serious problem (I have to reinstall most
> likely).  The problem I have is on a experimental box and Im some what a
> newbie.  Ive been playing around with cron so that it starts seti@home
> every hour if its not running, and if it is it doesn't do a thing.  I came

Instead of that, consider using an @reboot entry in your crontab to
launch your seti@home client at reboot time. As others have noted,
your cron tasks are probably generating all the email (maybe there's a
bug in the script that is checking on seti@home's status).

> across problems where I would get errors==>
> sendmail [308] gethostaddr (192.168.0.2) failed: 1
> /kernel: swap-pagerpgetswapspace: failed
> /kernel: pid 314 (ee), uid 0 was killed
> after that some messages saying that /usr was full.  I had /var symlinked
> to /usr/var.
> Its like world war 13 in that box.  I ran top while this was going on, and
> sendmail and local.mail were on top just running things.
> It filled up the partition then they stopped.  So I thought everything was
> ok.  Even most of the space was recovered.  I thought maybe if I reboot,
> the daemons would live in peace, but no, lo and behold, the rouge processes
> sendmail and local.mail are at it again, filling up the drive, 5G worth!!!
> Its kind of amusing to see this happen.  Since its an experimental box, I
> dont care about what happens to it.  My real issue is how could I find out
> where all of this information is being written to.  At one moment
> /var/mail/root had a huge file size then it would go down then up again, so
> maybe the rest was in the spool, dont know.
> Another issue, why is cron so difficult to setup.
> Im not expecting any responses as to how to fix, but any clues would be
> nice.  I most likely will poke around some more to figure out how to stop
> this cascade event and maybe reinstall.  Im just posting to amuse the gurus
> and newbies as to what can happen when you have absolute control.
>
> I got to step out, Ill be back to report any changes.....

> Steiny's Studio
> Pachyderm Productions
> http://steiny.hypermart.net
> mailto:info@steiny.hypermart.net

Fred Condo + fred@condo.chico.ca.us
Not since Tom Hanks won an Oscar has there been that much acting in
Philadelphia. -- Sen. Joe Lieberman, about the Republican Convention.