Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 01:39:54 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@eos.ocn.ne.jp>
To:        dima@unixfreak.org
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stale translations

Hi Dima,

Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org> wrote
  in <20010715134208.9F7513E2F@bazooka.unixfreak.org>:

dima> I'm not talking about translations which lag behind the real version
dima> for a month or two; we have some that haven't been updated in
dima> literally years, and have nobody actively updating them or working on
dima> them; some still document RELENG_2_2!

 I agree with you, but this problem is more general, not specific
 to translations.  Original documents written in English can also
 become old.  There are only difference in how actively maintained they are.

dima> So, what can we do about them?  We can obviously remove them; the
dima> original translators probably won't like this, but we can always bring
dima> them back if somebody wants to work on them.  Another alternative
dima> would be to post a big warning on the front of each document saying
dima> it's so obsolete as to be nearly useless (we'd need to find somebody
dima> who speaks the language, which may not be easy).  Anything else?

 Japanese translation team uses "revcheck script" for www/ja tree to notify
 "this page is old one" (see www/ja/prehtml).  Although this problem cannot
 be solved completely, a similar mechanism will somewhat help, I think.