Date:      Sat, 04 Nov 2000 23:00:21 -0600
From:      "Lars Fredriksentory.URL_7" <lars@odin-corporation.com>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Resolution to  SuperMicro P6DNE irq routing problems

Hi,
Over the last 8 months or so I have had nothing but trouble trying to
get SMP working again with a SuperMicro P6DNE motherboard.
When you booted a SMP kernel, the scsi driver would never see the
interrupts from the board. This happened as soon as the second processor
got enabled. Mp table was all screwy and some versions of the SMP kernel
would panic due to 2 or more ISA irqs directed to the same pin.

Anyway, I was just fiddling with it here last night and by telling the
BIOS that FreeBSD is a Plug and Play OS, all of a sudden the mptable
looks sane, the interrupts are being delivered and all is well. So for
those of you that from time to time have asked about this particular
motherboard and its quirckiness, you may want to try this.

One thing I did notice, which I don't know if it is due to  the SMPng or
something else, is that everything seem to get routed to irqs less than
16. Is that purely co-incidental or what?

I do see the following:

Programming 24 pins in IOAPIC #0
IOAPIC #0 intpin 2 -> irq 0
IOAPIC #0 intpin 16 -> irq 11
IOAPIC #0 intpin 17 -> irq 5
IOAPIC #0 intpin 18 -> irq 15
IOAPIC #0 intpin 19 -> irq 9

Anyway, Thanks a lot to those that have tried to help me in the past
with this, and to those of you working on  SMPng! Great job.

Lars